Since being launched in 2010, Instagram has quickly become the go-to social media network for sharing photos, or creating an aesthetic niche that suits your personality.
But Instagram isn’t just targeted for individuals; it’s also a great tool for marketing your business. You can increase brand awareness, change the way people perceive your company, and create associations with leaders in your industry.
It really is an amazing platform on a number of levels; so we’ve put together some awesome Instagram facts for 2017.
- 2010 October – Instagram is launched by Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom who met at Stanford University.
- 2010 December – Instagram hits 100 million users within 2 months of it’s launch.
- 2012 March – Facebook buys Instagram for around $1 billion.
- 2013 June – Instagram launches video-sharing.
- 2013 November – Instagram launches sponsored-post advertising.
- 2016 March – Instagram’s algorithm is updated to show most popular posts ahead of most recent ones.
- 2016 Aug – Instagram stories are released.
- 2016 Nov – Live video-broadcasting is released.
- Total number of users timeline
2010 Oct – Instagram is launched
2010 Dec – 100 million users
2014 Dec – 300 million users
2015 Sep – 400 million users
2017 Jan – 700 million users
2010 – [image of first logo]
2011 – [image of second logo]
2016 – [image of third logo]
- 6/10 online adults have used Instagram.
- It’s estimated that over 27% of the US population uses instagram
- 55% of 18-29 year olds in the US have an Instagram account.
- The countries with the most Instagram users are the US (20%), Russia (9%), and Brazil (5%).
- 31% of female internet-users have an Instagram account.
- 21% of male internet-users have an Instagram account
- 32% of Instagram users have attended college
- As of this year, Instagram has announced over 700,000 users worldwide.
- About 66% of Instagram’s users are active daily.
- Over 95 million photos and videos are shared every day.
- Over 40 billion photos have been shared since instagrams inception in 2010.
- 20% of internet users use instagram.
- 9% of teenage girls claim to have been bullied on Instagram in some point of thei r lives.
- The top 3 followed celebrities on Instagram are: Selena Gomez (105m), Taylor Swift (95m), Ariana Grande (92m).
- The most liked image in the history of Instagram is Beyonce’s pregnancy photo, with over 11million likes (source image: https://time.com/4657555/beyonce-pregnant-photo-instagram/)
- The 2nd most liked image in the history of Instagram is this shot of Selena Gomez, with her lyrics on a Coke bottle. (source image: https://time.com/4657555/beyonce-pregnant-photo-instagram/)
- The top 3 followed sports teams on Instagram are all football clubs: [the club badges would be good for this]
- Barcelona (42.5m followers)
- Real Madrid (40.9 followers)
- Manchester United (14.7m followers)
- The most followed brands on Instagram are Nike (68m), National Geographic (66m), Victoria’s Secret (49m), and 9gag (35m)
- There are over 8 million registered businesses on Instagram.
- Over 70% of businesses are expected to use Instagram for marketing this year.
- 60% of the top brands on Instagram use the same filter for every post.
- Instagram has 1 million monthly active advertisers (an increase of 400% in the past year).
- 100 million Instagram users use the ‘stories’ feature daily.
- Instagram posts that include a hashtag get over 12% more interactions than posts without.
- As of last year, there were over 282 million selfies posted on Instagram
- The heart emoji is the most used emoji on Instagram.
- The 3 most instagrammed foods are pizza, steak, and sushi.
- The 2 most popular filters are the Clarendon and Juno filters.
Study: The Most Popular Instagram Filters From Around the World …
Demographics of Social Media Users and Adoption in … – Pew Internet
Number of monthly active Instagram users from January … – Statista
Number of Companies Using Instagram To Nearly Double … – eMarketer