Day 2 kicks off.
Audience is looking a little less energetic today…
Andrew Goodman (Pagezero Media)
Gillian Muesig (SEOMoz)
Alex Parsons (Ninemsn)
Marty Weintrub (Aimclear)
- What impact did the GFC have on Search? Gillian says: “GFC was great for the Search business as print declined. Most search agencies grew last year.” (Agreed.)
- Alan (the only Aussie on the panel) says: “Australia faired pretty well in GFC.”
- On the topic of search degrees at university, Gillian says: “University degrees may never actually work, due to the fast-changing nature of the industry.”
- Marty says it’s the cheapest time in his lifetime to buy brand awareness online. (He is talking about Facebook. He has said a couple of times over SMX that Facebook is a great opportunity.)
- Measurement is getting more sophisticated. It’s not just about uniques, but things like depth of engagement, how many comments are on your blog.
- Alex says Bing has gone from 8% to 11% of search queries in the US. (C’mon, Bing, you need more market share in Australia.)
- Gillian says she thinks that people in Australia are not as fussed about certain privacy aspects like enabling geo location on their mobiles for specific advertising.
- She also says that the younger generation is not nearly as worried about privacy as the over-20s (and I think she is implying that the current privacy issues are blown out of proportion).
- (Am thinking we need a few more Aussies on this panel.)
- “Attribution” is being dropped all over the place.
- Many advanced reputation monitoring tools are hitting the market.
- What will be the biggest change looking 5 years out in Search?
- Alex: Maybe mobile. Ultra-fast broadband.
- Andrew: Read Chris Anderson’s book “Free”. This will be at centre of the web (eg lots of Google’s products, like Google Docs).
- Gillian: Regulation will come to a head. Mobile is where it will be.
Let’s connect on Twitter.
Next track is Facebook.
By Philip Shaw
Stay In The Know
Cut the clutter and stay on top of important news like this. We handpick the single most noteworthy news of the week and send it directly to subscribers. Join the club to stay in the know…